Sunday, July 24, 2005

Leadership & Poststructuralism



This is a wonderful book: I've found it a tremendous companion along my rambling journey though poststructural texts - both primary and secondary texts. And for the first time I've come across a problem that I'll need to address in the poststructuralist leadership e-learning module that I'm creating along with Tony Hall. Davis introduces the work of Levinas as a pilot for poststructual apologists navigating their way around the ethical and political objections to poststructuralism. Specifically, and related to ethics, these criticisms depend upon the argument that poststructuralism dislocates or 'decentres' the human subject, leaving it incapable of choice or agency, and therefore undermining the grounds of ethical action. For without subjectivity there can be no ethics. I need to read Levinas to figure out the extent of the risks that are attributed to the tentative conclusions that there can be no general principles that can be applied in particular contexts; that every situation has to be assessed on its own terms, through the lens of Levinas's ethical notions. This is the familiar poststructuralist refrain, even though I've never heard it related to poststructural ethics: an intimate foreignness, as Cixous would call it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home