Sunday, March 19, 2006

Leadership & Wrestling

It occured to me, whist reading, again, the wonderful and surprising essay by Roland Barthes 'The World of Wrestling' (1957), that I could use this idea as a base for a paper on leadership for the leadership conference later this year. As a model the Barthian inspiration would serve as a gentle though arresting preamble into an extended and frighteningly conclusive poststructural dissembling of some cherrished notions: notably, the self, the veneers of authenticity, psychological depth of the leader, and the consistency of follower's commitment to the leader. Alied to this is something else I'd like to try out with either this paper or another; and that is, to critique the accepted graphical depiction of the network metaphor - the spidery diagram with connecting lines and nodes. I'd like to bring to the foreground the interstercies, the gaps between the lines of network, the bits not captured by traffic of networkness along the pipes. To do this I think I'd use Latour's actor network theory, and start including the unsaids of place, objects, equipment and tools, and time, all of which are important determinants in the network. And since we're flipping things over, why not throw in to this tumble dryer of concepts the good old notion of self.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed!
Very helpful information specially the last part :) I care for such information much.
I was looking for this certain information for a long time.

Thank you and best of luck.

Also visit my homepage: fastest way to lose weight

2:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home